- no booking fees
- compare multiple motorhome brands in Launceston and around Tassie: Go Cheap, Leisure Rent, Tasmania Campers and more
- one-way campervan rentals available
Top Tips: Cheap Campervan Rental in Launceston
- book in advance – prices tend to be lower when the availability is still higher
- avoid peak periods – Christmas and the December-January summer holiday period tend to be the most expensive in Tasmania
- rent what you need – simply put, smaller campervans are cheaper. Renting a simpler camper model can give significant savings
- use a price comparison tool – knowledge it the key to… lower prices. Compare and find the cheaper options
Launceston Campervan Hire FAQ
Note: We compare multiple individual companies – each has its own terms and policies. Use the below answers as a general guide, however always check the terms of your rental, as details of may vary from company to company.
Can I hire a camper in Launceston and then drop it off in Hobart?
Yes, to find companies that have depots in both locations and offer one way rentals simply select Launceston as the Pick up location and Hobart as the Drop off destination in the search tool.
Can I access national parks around Tasmania?
Yes, most national parks in Tasmania are accessible for rental vehicles. Passes need to be purchase on entry (onsite or online) and campsites may not be suitable for large motorhomes. More information can be found on the Tasmania Parks & Wildlife Service site.
I’m travelling in a group. Do you offer multi-vehicle discounts?
If you’re travelling in a group and planning to rent 3 or more vehicles, discounts may apply. Please get in touch for further details.
Can I collect my campervan on a public holiday? Are there additional fees?
Rental companies may be closed for certain public holidays. For those depots that are open, a public holiday surcharge may apply. You’ll want to check carefully if you’re travelling at these times. To help you out, our search tool will indicate whether a depot is closed on a given day – simply enter your start and end travel dates and we will highlight any closed depots.
Attractions around Launceston
A short five-minute walk from the CBD, Cataract Gorge is Launceston’s own piece of wilderness, with walking tracks on both sides, having been established in the 1890’s.
The South Esk River gushes through the gorge to a confluence with the Tamar River at the 1867 King’s Bridge, a popular overlook. The chairlift at Cataract Gorge is the world’s longest single-span lift and a power station, just a bit upriver, made Launceston the first city in the Southern Hemisphere to be lit by electricity.
On the north shore, is the Cliff Grounds, a landscaped Victorian garden, complete with wandering peacocks and wallabies.
Campervan access: There are several on-site car parks which can accommodate campervans, though not all are large and may be packed during popular times. An option is also to park in the CBD (a 1.5 kilometre walk).
Cataract Gorge sports plenty of walking trails close to Launceston city
Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery (QVMAG)
Australia’s largest regional museum is split between two facilities:
- the railway workshop at Inveresk dates to the 1870’s and houses information and exhibits related to Tasmania’s social and natural history
- the 1891 Royal Park Art Building on Wellington Street contains ten galleries of Tasmanian art from the colonial time period to the present.
Both locations are operated by the Launceston City Council and are an easy 15-20 walk apart.
Campervan access: Both on-site parking and nearby car parks are available.
Hollybank Treetops Adventure Park
Fifteen minutes northeast of Launceston’s CBD, Hollybank Treetops offers a three-hour multi-stage zip line through the eucalyptus tree canopy or a two-hour guided Segway excursion along the networks of bush trails through the old and new growth forest.
Tours are conducted with small groups (7-14 people) and must be pre-booked. The newest addition is the Ropes Course that encompasses a total of seventy possible aerial challenges.
Campervan access: Designated parking is readily available.